SmartWatt was launched by Chris Covell in 2002. The company quickly became an industry leader by changing the way energy projects are conceived, financed, built and managed.
Everything we do reflects our deep commitment to ensuring our customers’ success. We roll up our sleeves, sweat the small stuff, and deliver the highest value/lowest risk solutions for energy optimization. Our commitment to exceeding expectations is reflected in the company we keep – helping organizations large and small increase their energy efficiency, improve indoor environments and reduce costs.
SmartWatt is now a Centrica Business Solutions company.
SmartWatt is launched in Albany, NY
Passionate about energy conservation, saving customers money and improving spaces for people, Chris Covell launches SmartWatt, initially providing commercial and industrial customers with lighting solutions to enhance their energy efficiency.
SmartWatt adds solutions
The company brings its solutions to utilities and small business customers, while growing its footprint on the west coast to offer a greater number of customers access to SmartWatt’s energy systems optimization approach.
Expansion continues into new territories and markets
The company moves into mid-western territories, and provides solutions to education and government customers so they experience enhanced well-being through green technology.
SmartWatt increases areas of expertise
To optimize customers’ energy investments and quality of life, SmartWatt offers building automation, mechanical services, bundled services, and performance contracting.
Technological advancements allow greater opportunities
SmartWatt expands into solar technology, tools for Smart cities, and support services to help sustain customers’ energy systems over the long-term.
SmartWatt becomes a Centrica Business Solutions Company
SmartWatt has become part of Centrica’s Distributed Energy & Power business, Centrica Business Solutions. Centrica Business Solutions delivers integrated energy solutions for businesses and other large energy users, combining distributed energy technologies and a variety of commercial options to improve performance and cost management, drive sustainability, and strengthen resilience. This move improves the company’s commitment to meeting increasing customer demand for integrated energy solutions.
Our team - the true backbone of our firm - is here to serve you
- NAESCO's List of Energy Service Companies 2019
- CMVP, CDSM, CEM & CEA Certified Professionals
- Certified Commissioning Authority (CxA)
- LEED AP, AP BD+C & O+M Certified Professionals
- Tridium Niagara N4, AX & R2 Certified Engineers
- Solar PV Installation & Technical Sales Professionals
- PMI Project Management Professionals
- CSLMC, CSLC & CSLT Certified Professionals
- Professional Engineers (PE) Nationwide
- Energy Savings Award Winner 2010 Pacific Gas & Electric
- Hire Power Award 2012 Inc. Magazine
- Fastest Growing Private Company 2012 Inc. Magazine
- Hire Power Award 2013 Inc. Magazine
- Fastest Growing Private Company 2013 Inc. Magazine
- Fastest Growing Private Company 2014 Inc. Magazine
- Highest Scoring Prop 39 Retrofit Project of the Year 2015 Board of Governors of California Community Colleges
- Fastest Growing Private Company 2015 Inc. Magazine
- Duke Energy Trade Ally Award 2018 for SmartWatt's Commitment to Energy Efficiency
President and CEO, Chris founded SmartWatt in 2002, and has grown it into a nationwide leader in the energy services industry. He is responsible for developing the corporate vision and providing executive oversight of the implementation of business strategy across the Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Division, Utility Programs Division and Corporate departments. He was named one of Business Review’s “40 Under 40”, and earned Inc. Magazine’s “Hire Power” and “Fastest Growing Private Company” awards. Chris earned a B.S. in Finance from Northeastern University.
CFO (Chief Financial Officer)View Bio
CAO (Chief Administration Officer)View Bio
VP OperationsView Bio
VP Engineering & DevelopmentView Bio
VP Of C&I SalesView Bio
South Business Unit ManagerView Bio
East Business Unit ManagerView Bio
Midwest Business Unit ManagerView Bio
West Business Unit ManagerView Bio
Director of ControlsView Bio
Director of MarketingView Bio